The blue ribbon may not be as universally recognized as the ubiquitous breast cancer pink; but, colorectal awareness is a very important issue. Why? Because, when discovered early, colon cancer is 90% CURABLE. The other important reason to raise awareness is that people, in general don’t like to discuss their colons. Well, let’s get past that for a minute and look at the facts.
What age should you be screened?
- 50 years of age, with no family history or other risk factors
- 45 years of age is you are African-American
- See your doctor is you have a family history of colon cancer to determine what is the best course of treatment for you.
What can I do to reduce my risk?
- stop smoking
- maintain a healthy weight
- eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruits
- limit fats and red meats
- be active during the day, if you have a desk job plan times to get up and walk around at regular intervals
- get regular exercise
- limit your alcohol (no more than 2 drinks per day for men, no more than 1 per day for women)