- Have ONLY CLEAR LIQUIDS for the entire day before your procedure. These are liquids, which you can see through if held up to the light. THEY CANNOT be red. Examples include apple juice, white grape juice, tea, water, 7-Up, Sprite, ginger ale, bouillon, or strained chicken broth. You may also have lemon or lime Jell-O, Popsicles, or sorbet. Please avoid poppy seeds and sesame seeds for one week before the exam.
- You will obtain a prescription from your Gastroenterologist for a 4 liter bottle of the laxative which you will mix with the water to the marked line. In some cases, your Doctor may give you two (2) four (4) liter bottles. Place in the refrigerator to chill a couple of hours before you start drinking the laxative.
- Starting at 5 or 6 p.m. the day before your procedure, start drinking the laxative at the rate of eight (8) ounces (glass) every 15 minutes until you have finished the contents of the bottle; this may take approximately four (4) hours or about 16 glasses. Your diarrhea will eventually be as clear as tap water. You may have to go to the bathroom for as much as two (2) hours after you have finished the laxative.
- You may drink clear liquids for up to three (3) hours before your procedure.
- Vaseline lubricant applied around the anus and buttocks may be helpful during your preparation (drinking the laxative) to prevent irritation.
- If you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa or other blood thinners, special instructions are required. Ask your doctor.
- No iron pills for three days before your colonoscopy. Multi-vitamins are O.K.
- You will need a ride home after the procedure due to the sedation you will be administrated. Patients are NOT allowed to take a take a taxi home by themselves.
Treat Yourself to the Highest Quality Treatment Available Contact Us