Preparation for Colonoscopy
HAVE ONLY CLEAR LIQUIDS FOR TWENTY-FOUR (24) HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE. These are liquids which you can see through if held up to the light. Examples: Apple juice, White Grape Juice, White Cranberry Juice, Tea, Water, 7-Up, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Fresca, Bullion, or strained Chicken Broth. Also, you may have lemon or lime flavored Jell-O, popsicles, or sorbet. DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING RED. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO DRINK AS MUCH LIQUIDS AS POSSIBLE.
For the three (3) days before your colonoscopy:
- Discontinue any fiber supplements (Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, Fibercon, etc.).
- Do not take any iron pills or vitamins containing more than 15 mg. of iron.
- It is best to eat lightly for a few days before your exam. It makes the clean out easier and more effective. Try to avoid overeating.
- Limit whole wheat products and fibrous foods with skins.
- Avoid poppy, caraway and sesame seeds.
Three (3) – 10 ounce Bottles of Magnesium Citrate (LEMON OR LIME ONLY) Depending on the time of your procedure you will be advised when to take the bottles:
You will take first bottle at:___________
You will take the second bottle at:___________
You will take the third bottle at:_____________
- YOU MUST NOT DRINK ANYTHING (WATER INCLUDED) BY MOUTH THREE (3) HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAMINATION.
- Vaseline lubricant applied around the anus and buttocks after each stool may be helpful during the preparation to prevent irritation.
- IF YOU ARE TAKING COUMADIN, PLAVIX, PRADAXA OR ANY OTHER BLOOD THINNER, YOU MUST INFORM THE DOCTOR!
- You MUST have a ride home after the procedure due to the sedation. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE YOURSELF. AND YOU CANNOT TAKE A TAXI HOME BY YOURSELF. UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO DRIVE YOU HOME, YOUR PROCEDURE MAY BE RESCHEDULED.
- Magnesium Citrate Prep – Printable (29.24 KB)