In order for the doctor to perform a colonoscopy, a bowel “cleanout” must be completed at home prior to the procedure. A bowel cleanout is a combination of a clear liquid diet and oral laxatives. All of these items can be obtained at your local pharmacy without a prescription. You will need to purchase:
- One 238 gram bottle of Miralax (or its generic) laxative.
- A small box of Dulcolax tablets. NOT suppositories. You will use four (4) tablets.
- Two (2) quarts or 64 oz. of any clear liquid.
NOTE: Clear liquids are anything that is transparent or you can see through. This includes water (regular or sparkling), clear fat free broths, tea, Kool-Aid, Crystal-Light, carbonated beverages, clear juices (apple, white grape, and white cranberry), popsicles without pulp, Jell-O, clear hard candies, Gatorade, and clear Italian ices. Avoid anything “Red”.
Not Allowed: Orange Juice, fruit nectars, liquids you cannot see through, milk, cream, or coffee.
If you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa or other blood thinners, special instructions are required. Ask your doctor.
Three (3) days before your colonoscopy:
- Discontinue your intake of any fiber supplements. these include Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, Fibercon, etc.
- Do not take any iron pills or vitamins that carry more than 15 mg. of iron.
- Limit your diet and eat less frequently before your exam. It makes the clean out easier and more effective. Avoid consuming too much food.
- Limit your intake of whole wheat products and fibrous foods with skins.
- Refrain from eating any poppy, caraway and sesame seeds.
Day before your colonoscopy:
- Clear liquid diet for 24 hours before your procedure.
- Take two (2) Dulcolax tablets around 4 p.m.
- About 6 p.m. mix half of the 238 gm. Bottle of Miralax (7 of the 17 gram doses) with one quart of clear liquid in a large pitcher. Stir well and add ice. Be sure to stir the solution until the Miralax is completely dissolved, Drink an 8 ounce glass every fifteen (15) minutes until the solution is gone (about four (4) glasses).
- Remain near bathroom facilities for the remainder of the evening. If you feel nauseated, stop drinking the solution for one hour, but you will need to drink all within two (2) hours.
- Diabetics may need an adjustment of their medications this day. Ask your doctor.
Day of Colonoscopy:
- Take two (2) more Dulcolax tablets 1 to 2 hours before starting the Miralax
- Mix the rest of the Miralax bottle (7 doses) in one quart of any clear liquid in a large pitcher, stir until solution is dissolved and add ice. Drink one 8 ounce glass every 15 minutes over one hour. Finish four (4) hours before your procedure time.
- You may take important prescription medicine with a small amount of water the day of the procedure as long as it is not within three (3) hours of the procedure.
NOTHING BY MOUTH AT ALL FOR THREE (3) HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE.
If you have an early morning procedure, take the second two (2) Dulcolax tablets at 8 p.m. and drink the second quart of laxative solution from 9 to 10 p.m. the night before the procedure.
Plan to arrive at the endoscopy center 30 minutes before your procedure time.
- The average visit is about two (2) hours. Arriving late or without a driver may require cancelling or rescheduling your procedure.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that are easily removed.
- Leave jewelry and other valuables at home.
- Bring your insurance card and driver’s license.
- If there is a co-pay or deductible, please be prepared to pay it.
IF YOU CANCEL YOUR APPOINTMENT WITHOUT GIVING 48 HOURS NOTICE, YOU WILL BE CHARGED A $100 CANCELLATION FEE.
- Miralax Prep – Printable (31.38 KB)